Monday, February 27, 2012

Students are Upset Over the Student Union Delay


San Jose, Calif. -The student union construction began towards the end of May in 2010 and its delayed status has caused a bustle of student opinions.

This $91.5 million dollar project expected completion date was within Fall of 2013 however there was been a number a delays the new completion date was changed to March 2014 according to Cathy Busalacchi, executive director of Student Union Inc.

The service elevator project was the root of the current delay when the construction workers were drilling for the elevator and the aquifer had come up and resulting in having to go in another direction for a different type of elevator.

“I was hoping that I’d be able to experience the new student union, especially since our fees have gone up to fund this project,” Lauren Metropolous, a second year nursing major, said. “ But by the looks of it I won’t ever get to see it and I will have only known this huge project as an inconvenience to me on my way to classes.”

The long-term main goals for the new Student Union are to provide more meeting space for the expanding student population and extra curricular and recreational use, as well as a place for students to go past 11 o’clock at night when the rest of the campus closes.

 “I have not been here for that long but I have made sure that I avoid the student union walk way during prime time traffic times throughout the day.” Sarah Gerhart, a sociology transfer student, said. “ I didn’t know that this was going to be going on when I picked San Jose State and my parents are definitely not pleased with having to pay the extra fees for this.”

There is still a lot of construction that is going to be going on for a couple years but it will bring something new to campus and improve the student life for this diverse student population.

No comments:

Post a Comment